Sunday, January 9, 2011

Rules of Conduct

  1. This is not a democracy. It's a benevolent dictatorship. I'm the dictator. Hi.

  2. In general, I ascribe to the "Bigger Asshole" Code of Conduct, which states that on my blog, no one gets to be a bigger asshole than me, where the terms "bigger" and "asshole" are defined exclusively by me.

    And I'm not that bad, really, so play nice.

  3. I ask my commenters to be supportive, respectful, and to offer constructive criticism only.

    I find snarkiness as amusing as the next person, but when it comes to teaching/learning situations, snark is just laziness hiding under an inferiority complex, so push yourself harder: What was done right? What could make it better? Give your comments some weight, not just an edge.

  4. I'm allergic to aggressive marketing. Spam gets deleted, obviously, but I also delete those blandly insipid, one-line comments that end with a link back to the poster's own website. YEAH, LIKE WE DIDN'T SEE THROUGH THAT ONE. NUH-UH; NOT AT ALL.

    If you want to self-pimp something to your friends here, go ahead, but use a light touch. If it smells at all like you see us as fish in a barrel, then your comments will evaporate.

  5. I also tend to delete comments that serve to derail the discussion unless it looks like everyone is having fun. Silliness doesn't bother me; debate doesn't bother me. Arguments do.